Wednesday, March 11, 2009

A Drop in the Bucket

I've been thinking a lot lately about money. When everyone looks around to see who's shifting in their seats after statistics like, "47 percent of American workers live paycheck to paycheck," I'm shifting. Somehow I didn't think the face of that statistic would look like, well, me.

For the past few years I've come to a screeching close call every paycheck. First it was part of paying off credit cards and store cards and just plain bad spending habits. (I'm looking at YOU Borders.) But then I paid off the credit card. I paid off the ill gotten store cards. And then, the biggest win of all, I got food poisoning. Three days of eating little to nothing cured me of my caffeine addiction and the $5 price tag of the lattes I so loved. It only took a month and I felt the monetary impact of those 72 hours. And for the first time last pay cycle I had a beautiful positive balance greeting me as my next pay check was deposited. Ching! I had more than enough money saved for my April vacation. Ching. And I was ahead on paying my portion of the rent. Ching! Ching!

But then something happened. One misstep on a tax form and I find myself owing a lot of money. It aligns perfectly with the semi-annual car insurance bill and the pain I've ignored for way too long in my back molar. And as I was falling asleep last night I felt the pressure again that is money. The feeling of never being able to get ahead. I had in my mind this idea of how it would be as a grown up. One of those ideas was that money would not be an issue because I'd have a grown up job. But that was as naive as thinking my man would ride up on a horse or that happily ever after wouldn't come with long awkward conversations about sex. I have a childhood filled with parental finance worries. I don't know how I ever constructed this idea of monetary bliss.

But the truth is I'm not that statistic.

One in four workers don't save anything. About a third of those that do put aside less than $100. Another third do not participate in any sort of 401k, IRA or retirement plan.

I put $200 a month into an IRA. We'll just ignore that that is losing game right now but still. That in and of itself means I'm outside of many statistics. And I don't have a mortgage. I don't have children. I am fortunate enough to be able to say I don't have credit card debt. And while today I feel like I will never gain control of my finances, I will. I need to buck it up, count myself warned and stay the hell away from Starbucks.

3 comments:

  1. Haa haa haa. I feel ya! Speaking of, I need to do my taxes. Dang it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaah damn Starbucks! I have the same issue, but I go just a couple times per week. That sucks you owe to the IRA!! It's always so hard to figure out how to balance money. I donate to a 401K, but hardly any at all, since the economy is sucking the life out of it anyway. My employer doesn't even match!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know how you feel about money. It always makes me hyperventilate. 9 months ago I was putting away money to savings, making progress on my credit cards, and could have started contributing to a 401(k). Too bad I hated my job. Now I'm getting by pretty well, but I'm not stable enough to save. It really sucks. However, I've decided this month is the month to get rid of most of my debt and I'll be able to do it, too. I'm pretty excited about that.

    ReplyDelete