Sunday, March 22, 2009

Facebook....hmmmmm

Zach pegged it last night. He said the very purpose of Facebook is the very problem I have with it. Right now I have a defunct Myspace account and a newish Facebook account. I kept all my blogs for friends-only on Myspace and I liked that my profile was public but everything else, private. Also, I made my account unsearchable on Myspace. I used a junk mail email address. My full name wasn't listed. My Myspace account let me reconnect with more or less my peers whether they be former classmates or new friends.

I think the issue I have with Facebook is it's a larger community. People who know my parents use Facebook. Theater people galore use Facebook. If I make a comment about drinking it up and having a ball at an upcoming wedding let's say this May, people who don't know me in that context will be getting that message as well as the person I intended it for. (KARAOKE!!!!) I don't like that. It's making me guarded, and yet I think it's smart to be.

But it also annoys me. This is a side hindrance of living in the town you grew up in. You create a community across age groups. To one group it's OK to be both the together girl and the girl who totally has a hangover. But it's strange. To people who don't know the full range of you, well, I think the individual pieces of information they do come across carry more weight.

Facebook is not Myspace. It has a different goal as a site. I need to accept those new parameters for what they are and then act accordingly.

So I am going to watch it on there, and I ask you guys (the five who read this :) to please not mention this blog. Or rather it's fine to mention it (as you guys have) but please never mention it in a way that would lead someone to it. I don't really have examples of what I mean, and I think in reality I probably never needed to tell you guys this, but I think that makes sense. (Somewhere Zach is shaking his head and thinking I'm paranoid...and I am. I TOTALLY am :)

OK that's it. I'm done whispering in a low voice and checking the room for microphones. Tomorrow I'll finally get around to writing about the show. We opened Friday night, and it's been a ton of fun. Yay!

PS- I'll still probably make hangover comments on Facebook. But I'll probably make more here!!! :)

3 comments:

  1. I totally know what you mean . . . But in case you didn't know (cuz I didn't, golda told me) there are privacy settings so that people *don't* see that you posted a comment on so and so and that so and so commented on you. It took me a while to find, but I found it. Lemme know if you want to look into it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aaah, right. I know I changed some of these already but I should go back and see what else they've made available. Thank you for reminding me! (And you may be my tech support :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! Why aren't you my friend on Facebook! I'm offended :)

    ReplyDelete