Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Lessons of the Week (and it's only Tuesday)

Lessons of the week:
1. When I tell Z an idea and he makes a comment like, "You need to figure out how to store it before you start or you'll end up having them everywhere," I need to tell him I agree instead of laugh. For me a single (or triple) chuckled is the outside version of the inside, "Oh shit he's totally right." But it comes off as me dismissing the feedback. It leads to fighting.

2. When I work on projects whether they be email newsletters for work or tiny trailers for local theater groups, I need to be thorough and focused on whatever it is I'm working on. I don't need to finish the whole thing at the first sitting, but I need to finish whatever aspect it is I've started. When I do something half way and then walk away with the idea of returning to it later, well, it's a recipe for disaster.

Instead have an overall plan and then do small chunks completely. If that's the newsletter it means I write an article and make sure I've checked grammar and name spellings and links to the best of my ability before I send it on.

For tiny trailers, it means if I'm doing 3 versions, I take one version at a time and follow the storyboard they've drawn and then make that the best it can be before I call it quits for the night. If I throw the clips together but then don't finesse it a bit, I will just be embarrassed about my work later. Or, in terms of the newsletter, I will have to revisit small changes a million times in the back and forth of suggestions from my co-workers as they catch my careless mistakes.

3. Finish side projects for third parties (especially ones with deadlines) before making up work hours. You (me) will feel less guilty overall.

No comments:

Post a Comment