Thursday, July 30, 2009

The difference a day (or 3) make

It's funny how events can turn in just a matter of days. (Oh nothing ominous btw.)

So for those of you who don't know, I dabble in music writing. I'm a perpetual beginner in guitar. At some point I'll probably be able to call myself a vocalist (although you'll never witness it at karaoke) and well, I write a lot of bad lyrics. And have for as long as I can remember.

Goal number 5 on my 28th year is to write a song complete with lyrics and notes. Ideally I'd take one of those completed songs and make a music video, but I'm getting ahead of myself in this story.

For a long time, music has been something I've held extremely close. I didn't share at all. Many forms of art I am happy to share with an inner circle. Story ideas. Film ideas. Installation art ideas. Craft ideas. Card ideas. But nothing about music. You'd hear me sing way before you'd hear something I wrote. Until this last week, I could count on two fingers the number of people who have heard my own lyrical/musical work.

But this is slowly changing. Or rather quickly it's changing. It's amazing how a small turn of events and really the mythical being in the right place at the right time can change things. Again, nothing momentous in the grand scheme of things, but to me, wholly a big deal.

Tomorrow at around 7:30 pm, for the first time in my life I am going to be collaborating face to face with someone on a song that I wrote. Monday this #5 was a far flung goal probably to be extricated from the list. Today it is turning quickly into something that will most likely happen.

The term adventure has been high jacked by global backpacking treks, extreme sports, and anything involving a gun. I think that's a shame. Because the adventure I've felt this last week- sharing a part of me I normally hide and jumping headlong into something that is completely unknown- that's exactly the kind of adventure I want in my life.

(OK all of that said, it'll be awhile until you hear anything :)

No comments:

Post a Comment