Thursday, July 23, 2009

Dance Class: Night 1

So Z and I stepped into our first night of ballroom swing. It's not wedding related at all. I was a little hesitant b/c our dance experiences in the past haven't been what you could call stellar. (Also, not for lack of trying on both our parts.)

So Z's Mom got us swing lessons for one holiday or another. (Totally sweet gesture.) And tonight we go. There are 5 pairs, a single man, and the instructor Dave. Age wise there is a younger group and an older group. One married couple, a few unmarrieds and a couple that met in another dance class. Basically our ending assessment of night 1 is that two hours of dance steps is waaaay too much to go through in a night. I'm a follow, so I don't do a whole lot more than follow. But the leads. Wow. It is really a lot to take in. Especially if you don't have experience in any other forms of dance. It's a lot.

That said, Z did smashingly. He may not feel it, but he didn't dance with the other leads so he only has himself to compare himself to. He's some beginner troubles but nothing that can't get better with simple practice. It's kind of exciting. I don't know if we'll ever be a dancing couple, (neither of us really cares to be) but I think if nothing more the class will be a really fun event to go to each week. And then we'll get to practice together around our living room. All and all a huge success from my point of view. It's one of the few times I've taken a class with a guy and been excited to dance with him. It's just so much more fun with him than with any of the other guys.

I'm sorry if my optimism is confusing this morning, but I think this will be great!

2 comments:

  1. This is just great! David and I did dance when we first met, and had a blast. We learned so much about eac h other and communication. I think its something that can benefit every couple.

    ReplyDelete