Sunday, May 3, 2009

How I Learned To Drive

I went to an informal play reading this afternoon with some random people from the local theater. This wasn't an audition for a future play. Simply an informal group and a script. We read "How I Learned to Drive." It's the history, more or less, of the protagonist's abuse by her Uncle by marriage. And theoretically it's a controversial play. It definitely was in our theater a few years back when the play reading committee OK'd it but then was over-powered by the Board, which should have no say in these matters. In the end, a very excellent director did not get the chance to direct a very excellent script.

This makes me both sad and angry now that I've actually had a chance to read it especially when I think people are confused at why they think it's controversial. Apparently a few people in the meetings stood up and said that people in the audience would find the story too familiar and would be negatively affected by it. To that I say bullshit. What I believe people find controversial is that in this story there is no black and white. The abuser isn't Satan incarnate. The protagonist at times seems unsure if she likes or dislikes the attention. There isn't a rape scene where the woman is crying and obviously scarred. I think if those were the case it would be far less controversial because it wouldn't mean we had to do any thinking of our own. We would all be in familiar territory. We can do Diary of Ann Frank a million times because it's a black and white atrocity. Jews good. Nazis bad. There's a narrative for the viewer that's safe even if the story itself is harrowing; to the viewer the story is safe.

And that's what our local theater does, safe plays. And it doesn't mean nothing good gets through. There are many really excellent shows filled with talented and hardworking people across the spectrum. But on some level they are all safe. Not boring but within these rules our theater has silently decreed.

Annoying.

"How I Learned to Drive" is a good read. It's possible that they will (or did) perform it in Portland. Also, if you do pick it up or have seen it, I'd love to discuss :)

2 comments:

  1. That kind of reminds me of the book called "Towelhead" which was also made into a movie. It was pretty controversial but circulated around the indie scene.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of the guys at the reading actually brought up that very movie. I vaguely remember the trailer.

    ReplyDelete