Monday, January 25, 2010

Piles of You Know What

We had impromptu guests (in addition to a non-impromptu guest) on Saturday. It was a rare and delightful occurrence. We all discussed Z and my moving to Portland and then the ones who hadn't yet seen our apartment got the tour. (It takes about 5 seconds.) As they were passing my studio, one looked in and said in disbelief, "Wow. How are you going to move all of this stuff?!" I was a few rooms away, heard the remark and felt the associated embarrassment. Nerve struck. Even though the entire evening had been beyond pleasant, I still wondered if our guests thought poorly of me seeing the one space in the apartment that is fully under my care.


That is fodder for another time, but it got me thinking: What if I just got rid of everything here? Kept the more expensive paint, but loaded trucks full of fabric, paper, pens, Christmas glass ornaments, ribbon, and just drove it all to Goodwill and Scrap? Maybe even extend it to all but a couple of sweaters, jeans and running shoes. It would be thousands of dollars of stuff. Rubble across a room. And then in our new space, be careful about what I buy. Be conscious of the weight the things we own bring to us.

The likelihood of me doing this is slim, but isn't it a lovely, romantic notion?

1 comment:

  1. You know, I've actually been doing that. Even before I moved, I just kept looking at my closet and thinking "I need more room" so I'd slowly start getting rid of stuff I'd not worn or those sentimental pieces of items like a fleece sweatshirt I wore in Mexico (oh, 8 years ago)... And now that I'm moving, that's exactly what I'm doing: getting rid and starting new...but carefully.

    ReplyDelete