Thursday, June 9, 2011

Goals 2011/2012

Getting back to the roots of this blog, I'm setting up hopefully-doable goals for the next nine months.Year 30 did not start out smoothly and while I'm over the initial drop kick, my feelings about where I should put my energies (or you know, goals) is shifting. So this list may look different in not too long. But a girl needs to start somewhere.


Financial:
1. Save $4,000. I currently have $2,000 which is a big deal for me. That means $225 a month needs to go into savings. If I just stay the hell out of book stores, crafts stores and second hand clothing stores I will probably be fine. Good lord.

Work:
2. Establish clear job description (TBD) and become more work focused at work.
3. Establish some sort of work/life balance b/c right now I'm sucking at it.

Video/Film:
4. Finish rough draft of feature length script. It can be the crappiest script ever but it needs to be no less than 90 pages.

Finish editing shorts: (You'll notice a theme. Music kills me.)
5. Love Story: Needs closing credit animation (optional and maybe I should skip) and music.
6. Name Game: Needs music.
7. Plein Air: Needs tighter edit and music.


Graphic Design/Art: 
8. Work through an Illustrator book
9. Work through a Photoshop book.
10. Establish an arbitrary poster project (at least 5 pieces based on a theme) using what I learned from the books.
11. Insert vague visual goal here. Just a reminder to keep playing and trying to find a path I want to go down. (It's weird to have a desire to do something but not really have a clear goal of WHAT.)
12. Do one installation-like project. This summer: The Card Game.
    (Steps to take: design stencil in Illustrator, cut stencil, get material and being the massive amount of spray painting. Play cards.)

Personal/Life Outlook:
13. I generally don't put these in here but I need to keep it some place so I know to revisit it. I am a whole different person in terms of social anxiety. About two years ago I started working on this hard and I can say proudly that I freak out and get super negative a lot less about social activities today than I did just a year ago. (I actually say YES to things now. Ask my friends and family how much I said yes to things just a few years ago.) But I need to start using some of what I learned about my triggers and mental time line to approach social projects like dinner parties or parties. Things that take some planning. Wedding season has helped a lot with this but if I could get better at this component it would benefit both my creative endeavors and my job. Mostly I just need to remember that things take longer than one expects and to focus on the fact that at some point I wanted to do the event.

3 comments:

  1. If you ever have any questions about Illustrator please do ask. And if you ever find anything cool about Illustrator please do tell. And if you ever have any questions about Photoshop I'll do my best but you likely have other friends that rock PS much better than I. (Unless it's color correction for print output...that I can do.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! What I use Illustrator for is so limited that I rarely run into anything I can't do work-arounds on. I need to try harder, complete projects that are fashioned in the current graphic design styles. Aaand the questions shall run to you like water!

    ReplyDelete